Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Barrel Block Terrain

I've had a project with the oil barrels kicking around in my head. Originally I thought I would just be casting offf of a couple dozen barrels and stack them however to produce an interesting piece.
 Easy peazy


Enter the NOVA Open.
Suddenly I'm looking to get an easy feature add to tables that wasn't just a repetitive element but could offer a bit of customization. The random stacked mass of barrels is not going to cut it for build time. To much gluing and waiting to produce the numbers we need in a reasonable time frame.




Enter Image search.
They get moved four at a time on pallets. Ah, hell I can do that and it creates a dense little stackable block.

From here it takes off into a set of mold n casts. Probably extraneous, but years of time on a computer has left me a bit twitchy without undoes.

I cast the barrels a while ago when this project first started kickin around. So they're around in mass just need the pallet and to get it all together.


Rolled out a slab of super scuptly to even thickness; trimmed it square and baked it solid.
If you've not taken this stuff for a test drive yet it's worth your time. Pros: Little less like sculpting with used bubble gum and doesn't set till you bake it. Cons: not as resistant to abuse and will chip and in some cases shatter. After a bake and some carving I gots me a fair pallet.

Casting time.

At this point I have the pieces I'll need for this project and the means to produce more should some stage of my experiments go tits up. 


First production run(s) was using dental stone. Maybe it had a bad childhood. Maybe I wasn't attentive enough. Maybe it was full of fail. Maybe I'll try again.

 [Image removed for fail]

Next run produced usable product. I switched casting materials, suddenly usable casts. Fickle son of a.. but I digress.
From here it's a coast downhill. Got barrels and something to stack them on. Add a spot of glue an... crap that's a lotta negative space on the center of those. 


The sculpty comes back, this time as a gap filler. Brew up a couple grams of goop and boom barrels are fused together and negative space is mitigated.


One last cast to make. Seriously take a moment to consider your mold. The more time you spend on making this part clean the easier life will be later.


Finished mold and cast.


Cast off a couple more to check how well these would stack and scale.


Now it's back to start to make versions with 2 an 3 barrels on the pallet to add variance to finished “stack”

No comments:

Post a Comment